Saturday, December 27, 2008

Don't want to loose this one...

This post is about 2 weeks late, but still necessary in my eyes. My grandfather passed away about 2 wks ago and I am so grateful that I was able to see him before. TGF Jewish Holidays... I would not say we were buddy buddy close, but we did talk and share special times. I remember going into his garage and asking 101 questions during his soaps and he never batted an eye or acted as if I was in his way. He was always very low key and made his grandchildren feel special. During his service, I realized that he is the reason why I have so many "careers" and am not willing to take random days off of work. He was such a hard worker and would be working whenever you saw him. besides the fact that staying busy kept him out of the crazy house with 9 children + grandchildren, he really enjoyed and took pride in his work. He could find the oldest most tattered piece of junk and turn it into something with hundreds. I learned during his service that he worked a second job besides his business when my mother was a child. I always wondered how my grandparents supported 9 children. Through reflections in the past couple of weeks I've learned so much about myself and where my personality and tendencies developed. Besides the incredible love of ice cream that kills my stomach and pimples my face, I inherited a calmness about me. I also have a quiet anger that comes out at the wrong times. I am a hard worker and have 2 1/2 jobs for the joy of working and nothing more- besides the mortgage of course. I am a flirt and a tease, something I didn't recognize in him until after my grandmother passed (they were separated for about 7 years before she passed 6 years ago). I hide my feelings and excitement, but I do get very emotional and burst with enjoyment over little things- all on the inside of course. I don't care about the small stuff, but I complain.
These are all things that I noticed I collected form him. They are staples to my personality, especially that ice cream obsession. I love and appreciate them and will miss my grandfather a great deal. I know he is in a better place not dealing with the pain of failing organs, but it's still difficult to know that he's gone with his garage and his soaps..."I'll rest when I die"...rest on...
Love you....

No comments:

Post a Comment